Energy Conversions Inc. has a number of informative articles, technical papers and documentation covering their systems, research and pertinent supplementary literature.
Technical Bulletins and updates will be posted here periodically.
For hard copies, Contact ECI.
Technical Papers and Essays
Converting Diesel Engines to Dual Fuel
the Pros and Cons of Gas Engine Types PDF
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME):
- "A Retrofit System to Convert a Locomotive to Natural Gas Operation," by Jensen, Scott, Energy Conversions Inc., Tacoma, WA, ASME paper ICE-Vol.21 Natural Gas and Alternative Fuels for Engines, ASME 1994.
- "Application and Maintenance of a Low Pressure Dual Fuel System for Offshore Drilling Rig Power Generation", by Olson, Leslie E., and Jensen, Scott P., 97-ICE-14, ICE-Vol. 28-2, ASME Spring Technical Conference, 1997.
- "The Natural Gas Locomotive at Burlington Northern Railroad,"by Olson, Leslie E, Pacific Rim TransTech Conference, Seattle, WA, USA, July 25-28, 1993.
- "Effects of Fuel and Gas Mixtures on Power Limits in a Dual-Fuel Engine," by Gillispie, Mitchel J. and Jensen, Mark A, Energy Conversions Inc., Tacoma, WA, ASME paper ICE-Vol. 21, Natural Gas and Alternative Fuels for Engines, Book No. G00830.1994.
- "Operating a Diesel Locomotive with Liquid Methane Fuel, Process Systems Group Technology," by Stolz, J.L., Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., Allentown, PA., ASME Energy-sources Technology Conference and Exhibition, Houston, TX, January 26-29, 1992.
- "NOx Reduction of a Two-Stroke EMD-645 Locomotive Engine by Conversion to Dual Fuel Operation," by Helgeson, Norman L., Jensen, Scott P., Kluender, Ronald L. , and Willey, Diesel Emissions Reduction Workshop, Department of Energy, 1996. U.S. Navy Report.
ECI Dual Fuel Sourcebook: This publication is currently undergoing its third revision; this is the most recently published version. An essay on Natural Gas and its use as a fuel source for locomotives and power generation. ©1993, Revised ©1998, Energy Conversions, Inc. PDF
Diesel/ Liquid Natural Gas Locomotives: A Dual/Fuel Solution, by Jeffery T. Schultz, Diesel Era Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 6, p.14-17.
Energy Conversions, Inc., Company Profile, LNG Express, Vol. V, No. 8, p.8-10, August 1995.
- High-Horsepower NGV's? Making Gas Pay for the Long Haul. by Mark Jensen, Natural Gas Fuels Magazine, June1993.
- Dual-Fuel Engines for Offshore Drilling, by Bruce Wadman, Application Report, Diesel & Gas Turbine Worldwide, April 1996.
- Dual-Fuel Conversions Evaluated by the U.S. Navy, Application Report, Diesel & Gas Turbine Worldwide, October 1996.
- LNG: So Simple,So Mysterious, by Jim Lewis and Pat Outtrim, Natural Gas Fuels Magazine, September 1994.
ECI 645 Conversion System Reference Materials including:
Installation Manual, ECI 645 Dual Fuel Conversion kit,
Parts Manual, EMD Parts Catalog.pdf
- ECI 645 Dual Fuel Conversion Kit,
EMD Maint and OpV5.pdf
- ECI 645 Spark Conversion Kit, Fourth Edition, revised March 2002, 40 pages. ©January 1996.
Parts Catalog, ECI EMD 645 Dual Fuel Conversion kit, 2002-1 Edition, 34 pages. ©2001.
- ECI 645 Dual Fuel Conversions System Installation, ©1995, Energy Conversions Inc., approximately 25 minutes.
- Maintenance and Operation, ECI 645 Dual Fuel Conversion System, ©1995 Energy Conversions Inc., approx. 90 minutes.
- System Introduction, ECI 645 Dual Fuel System, ©1994 Energy Conversions Inc., approx. 20 minutes.
Caterpillar Dual Fuel Conversion Systems:
Installation Manual, Dual Fuel Conversion Kit for the Caterpillar model 399, 398, and 379 medium speed diesel engines, Stationary Power Applications, Second Edition, 53 pages, ©1999.
Maintenance Manual, Dual Fuel Conversion Kit for the Caterpillar model 399, 398, and 379 medium speed diesel engines, Revised Edition, 38 pages, © 1999.
Parts Book, Dual Fuel Conversion Kit for the Caterpillar model 399, 398, and 379 medium speed diesel engines, Power Generation Applications, 20 pages, ©September 1999.
Economizer Dual Fuel Conversion Systems:
Maintenance and Operation Manuals
Install Manuals, 2010 Economizer Install Manual RR.pdf and the Ecoinstall08.pdf
Technical Bulletins- Supplementary System Information
Scheduled Maintenance for EMD gas conversion system
Control systems handshaking
System info & specs on the ECI dual fuel
conversion system for the EMD 645
Gas supply line filter maintenance
Engine tuning and balancing
Special tools used on natural gas converted engine systems
Injector settings and adjustments for ECI converted
dual fuel engines in stationary power applications